Saturday, November 28, 2009

recent developments

so the grandparents were just dropped off at the airport to return to their home in ithaca, new york. now it's just me and the parents once again. i have to admit though...i prefer to be the center of attention. it takes more chirping on my part to get what i want when there are other birds in the house. however, they don't spring for the good cheese and wine when it's just me around, so having company is great in that respect. the highlights of my grandparents visit would have to include me knocking their socks off when i set up an online show for them to watch on my computer, finding out that my dad had served them breakfast fixings on a baking sheet, and listening to my brother still quote "that's what she said" at the dinner table.

a wonderful discovery was made by my dad this afternoon. he was dropped off at the house so that he could catch the kick-off for the carolina game when... no t.v. signal. and on top of that, no internet connection. we both knew what had happened. my mom had prematurely canceled our cable and internet and had forgotten to re-schedule the date. my dad was furious. he had to control his anger though since my grandpa was reading in the adjacent room (thank god for that). i feel his pain, and i'm beginning to feel my own pain as the reality of the situation is slowly sinking in...no more coming home from work and relaxing in front of the television. no more checking my e-mail or perusing the internet when i feel like it. no more cake boss. this really blows. i feel like i could reasonably adjust to having either no cable or no internet for a while (i've done it before). but losing both? criminal. and i feel like the biggest 21st century pansy when i say that, but everyone has things in their lives that are hard to live without. for the remote huli tribe inhabiting the forests of papua new guinea, i'm guessing it's their ipod shuffles.

in other news, i'm eagerly awaiting word from two credit card companies that i applied to last week. since i've had a stable checking and savings account for years, i've always ignored the onslaught of credit card applications that have come my way, weary of the fine print that so many have fallen victim to. but my dad urged me to begin to build my own credit, so i met with a banker to discuss my options...the few that i have. apparently i can only be trusted with about 800 dollars. at least now i know what i'm worth. whether i'll be approved or declined to receive a credit card lies in the hands of some squirly man with a gut i suppose.

also, i am currently sipping on a medium house coffee with 2.5 sugar packets (i figure the larger size warrants a little more sugar) and moderately enjoying it!

also also, i have been rummaging through books that speak to our age group (like i promised) but i cannot reveal my findings just yet...need more time to give you a quality book report. patience is a virtue.

signing off from a deserted caribou coffee shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment