Sunday, November 22, 2009

not all those who wander are lost. -jrr tolkien

there are few things in life that bring us to a state of total complacency. for me, one of the ways in which i arrive at this peaceful place is by going on long walks. all it takes is a pair of running shoes, my ipod, and no time constraint whatsoever. that last element is essential because i can’t fully relax if i have to be somewhere in the near future. i park tj, my little red car, and hide the keys in some nearby bushes (stealth). the phone is left in the car because i like the idea of being inaccessible in a world of constant accessibility, even if it is for only a couple of hours. i stick those white iconic ear buds into my ears and begin walking. no course to follow. no plan of action. this is one of the rare moments in my life when i free myself from my obsession to plan ahead and let my surroundings do it for me instead.

last sunday afternoon was when i last took one of these walks. starting at a familiar coffee shop, i ventured downtown and then towards the unc campus. my mind wandered as my feet wandered across the academic quad, around the bell tower, and pass the football stadium. i became immersed in a herd of people (who i later realized were all headed towards the dean dome for a tar heel basketball game) walking towards unfamiliar territory. they lead me to an open courtyard encircled with brick buildings, one of which contained tables with oh-so familiar green umbrellas attached to them. any true java junkie would immediately know that a starbucks lurked ahead. so i left the herd in pursuit of this potential goldmine, and what i found was all i could hope for...including this comfy brown chair that i am currently sitting in, indian-style. plenty of space, plenty of outlets, and free internet access in a student-infested starbucks. what a perfect little place, i thought. the youthful and scholarly composition of the room gave me a sense of comfort reminiscent of my college days...without the ten-page paper due before thanksgiving break.

so for now, let me be a unc student among the rest of them. let me re-capture my memories perched at a table littered with books and papers. let me be a student once again, because sometimes i just miss being able to call myself one.

No comments:

Post a Comment