Friday, June 18, 2010

all my single ladies

before heading out to watch the nba finals last night, i asked my roommate, "do you ever hit a certain age where you stop chugging beers before going to a bar to save money?" "probably not" she replied. case closed.

so we left the apartment in search of a drinking establishment downtown that could accommodate both ourselves and two other girls who we were meeting up with. not smart, seeing as it was game 7 in the city of los angeles...and only ten minutes until tip-off. but we managed to finagle a table in a place that was more swanky (18 dollars for a kobe burger) than sporty. i noticed the abundance of collared shirt and v-neck-wearing men as i surveyed the scene.

anyhow, the reason why i'm bringing up last night has nothing to do with the lakers or the celtics or the fact that i could probably brew and bottle coors light myself because it has zero taste. the reason has to do with my tendency to believe that every time i "go out" could be the night i meet my future husband. i don't know if it's just me--a romantic, single woman in her twenties--or the curse befallen onto all romantic, single women in their twenties, but i truly believe that every night out could be the night where i could meet the one. talk about going to bed disappointed! i totally agree with the saying, "you find what you're looking for when you're not looking for it" (just ask my mom or sister about the infamous prom dress shopping of 2005).
but i can't help myself!
and it's not like i even want to meet the one (or my next serious boyfriend) at a party, bar, or club. i see myself being somewhere like...the grocery store, fondling just about every avocado for just the right one. maybe he catches me already doing work on my bag full of grapes as i continue to shop. or maybe he eyes me as i pour myself a hefty sample of chocolate covered almonds from the candy isle. like i really need to try them. i used to try and conceal this behavior of mine, putting on a little show for the camera like, "ooh, what are these? i better try one before i make a purchase." now i just stare defiantly into the camera like, "come on, i dare you to come out and get me!" of course, all this talk is under the assumption that i haven't yet crossed paths with the man of my dreams. whether we are total strangers or not, i know i won't be changing my ways until there is a ring on my finger.

can anyone relate?


No comments:

Post a Comment