Tuesday, January 26, 2010

it's you, not me.

i clocked-out for the last time at work today. DONE. FINISHED. t-2 hours was a particularly ancy period for me...ringing in bogus orders and inviting my managers to just fire me on the spot (both for effect and also so that i could leave early). my co-workers made me a "going away card" in about five seconds...the contents of which include both english and spanish sentiments, naturally. i probably should've extended a couple goodbye's but i was just too damn excited to walk out of there. as is the case with every "break-up", you go away learning something valuable-at least that is what i believe. so let me share some of the valuable lessons that working at this job has taught me over the past two and a half odd months:

sometimes the extra $8 or $16 dollars i would've made staying at work is well worth the trade-off of doing anything other than working.

there is a difference between having a career and having a job. i think it really is a mindset. if your work begins when you clock-in and ends when you clock-out, it’s a job. if your work follows you well after you are off the clock--consuming your thoughts and providing you with a sense of self-worth and accomplishment-- then, my friend, you have a career.

i learned that...

i am not the first person to ever quit a job. i was so wrapped up in disappointing and upsetting my employers when i first considered terminating my job. luckily, my family gave me the perspective i needed to start putting my needs and aspirations first.

and i learned that it's not all shits and giggles when your employment status improves...


thank you for the many things you have taught me, job...please know i am being sincere when i say that. but goodbye, job... i am already so over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment