Thursday, January 14, 2010

and then...banana happened

let's rewind to 5:45 a.m. yesterday morning. somewhere between making the baker a mocha and reluctantly putting on my hat, one of my co-workers breaks the news: our boss has handed in her two weeks notice.

talk about being beaten to the punch.

i didn't know whether i should be feeling more or less guilty for my intent to do the exact same thing once my shift ended. just another perfect example of how "timing is everything" (happens to be a favorite quote of mine). so as it turns out, the conversation i was dreading to have with my boss for nearly a week now turned out to be an enjoyable, upbeat experience. to celebrate my official 'two weeks notice' status i decided to go clothes shopping for my new position. i'm twenty-two years old and i do not own a single black collared shirt nor a pair of dressy black pants (i've always felt more akin to white anyways). so like a good-intentioned girl, i headed straight to t.j. maxx with a plan to buy some outfits that wouldn't break the bank. i searched through the endless racks for black this and black that yet, fourteen items later, i come up with nothing. this is just frustrating, i'm thinking, because i go out and do the sensible and "right" thing by shopping discount prices and not a thing in the store fits right. plus, the selection was piss-poor. i decide to take it up a notch by trying my luck at the mall. and then...banana happened.

i walked through the entrance to banana republic with the mindset that i would only be looking at clothes that were on sale...well, they place the sale items in the rear for a reason. i started grabbing shirts and pants that were pricey, all the time convincing myself that i was just trying them on for sizing purposes or to purchase later on when i had made some more money. yahhh...

i'm sorry, but i just felt TOO DAMN GOOD seeing myself in the mirror with a black button-up, black skirt, and a tie to tie it all together. i don't think i've ever felt that sophisticated in my entire life. being in that get-up filled me with energy...vivacity...confidence...(sexiness)...feelings foreign to me at my catering job. "damn", i thought to myself, "this is what i have been missing!" i purchased the look. so yes, banana happened. and i have a very good feeling that banana will happen again (and again). it's like the lady who assisted me said, "honey, with the tips you'll make wearing that...that skirt will pay for itself in no time."

amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment