Sunday, August 16, 2009

a moment in time

it was another successful day at the office...yesterday, my beach volleyball partner and i took first place in a local beach tournament. we celebrated by sharing a six-pack and watching the remaining men's teams battle it out for glory. as i sat comfortably in the shade, i was acutely aware of just how happy i was at that moment. there just don't seem to be enough opportunities in life when one can bask in one's achievement both publicly and comfortably. maybe "bask" is the wrong word choice here...all i mean to say is that, in my opinion, few things compare to the feeling of being completely satisfied with your performance and able to reflect on that personal victory. if i were to describe to you the moments in my life when i have been perfectly at ease with the world, you would see me inside some gymnasium with a phone held up to one ear and a grin stretching across my face. i'm on the phone with my dad most likely, recalling the win my team just secured and the key plays that made it all possible. my words are eager and my mind is clear. the farthest that i can see into the future is what i could possibly be eating at my next meal. the sun has just risen and the possibilities are endless. my efforts have been rewarded and the team goal has been reached...there is nothing left to do but savor this moment in time. of course, time catches up to us, and after a couple of hours, the future returns to my consciousness larger than ever. the future represents a state of mind that is no longer open but filled with schedules and expectations, promises and doubt. the outlook is murky. poof. the bright feelings i just experienced becomes a distant memory, and all i can say is that it was another successful day at the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment