Monday, December 28, 2009

garbage

my little, red, ford focus, tj (named after the elderly man who sold it to me), has just recently taken on a new name: the sleigh. this name came about on christmas eve as my mom, brother, sister, and i were piling our groceries into my car from the third (yes, third) grocery store we had visited that evening. we felt like four sardines packed inside a sardine can...bags of groceries weaving in and out of our confined space. to my mom’s credit, she cleverly referred to my car as “santa’s sleigh”, a befitting name for two reasons. one, because my car is both compact and red. two, because one could imagine the bountiful bags of groceries in my car to be the bags of presents santa hauls to children around the world.

as far as i know, i am sure that no one operates santa’s sleigh besides santa himself. unfortunately for me, i am not so lucky. i am all too familiar with the “vehicle shuffling” that results from a family unit with three people, three separate jobs, and only two cars. that said, i wasn’t surprised when my dad had arranged for him to drop me off at work this morning so that he could take the sleigh to his own place of work. but what did surprise me, however, was what awaited me inside the car...

bags and bags of trash. i aint joking. my dad was actually proud of the fact that he had thought of filling up my car this morning so that he could swing by the old house and have plenty for the trash man to take on trash day. lovely. i don’t think santa ever had to put up with something like this in his career, correct me if i’m wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment